Diarrhoea, the most common problem associated with frequent loose and liquid bowel movements, at least three times a day, thus causing dehydration. It does not need medical help generally and can be treated with some natural home remedies. But if the condition is getting worse with no improvement even after 2-3 days then that is severe diarrhoea and needs fast medical help.
The abnormally loose and watery stools are accompanied with stomach pain and in some cases fever too. Indications of severe diarrhoea are vomiting, weight loss, high fever and dehydration.
Diarrhoea is mainly caused by an infection in the intestines due to the presence of either one of parasite, bacteria or virus. This condition is known as gastroenteritis. Generally, the food poisoning or direct contact with an infected person enables these infections to penetrate the body.
Here is the list of home remedies for diarrhoea (mild and temporary):
1. Bilwa or bael fruit
Bael fruit is pharmaceutically proved to be antidiarrhoeal. It is considered stomachic, digestive and astringent in nature.
- Charaka prescribed tender fruits of Bilwa with buttermilk in diarrhoea.
- The decoction of Bilwa and mango seed, mixed with honey and sugar, checks vomiting and diarrhoea.
Onion is effective in case of virus induced diarrhoea.
- A paste of bulbs, mixed with curd and salt, is given in diarrhoea.
- Two tablespoons onion juice extracted by grating the onion is also recommended.
Ginger is the best medicinal herb useful in many diseases. It tones the stomach and digestive system of the body. Also, regulates the bowel movement to normal pace by releasing some digestive enzymes.
It reduces the pain and inflammation in the stomach and relieves all the gastric troubles during diarrhoea.
- Apply juice of ginger on the navel.
- Add a small piece of ginger to the boiling water and drink it 2 times a day.
- Add the paste of ginger to buttermilk and drink it once a day.
Papaya contains papain, it is a protein-dissolving enzyme that aids digestion and induces good bacterias in the intestine. It strengthens the immune system and kills the bad bacteria infecting the intestines.
As the diet during diarrhoea should only be liquid so papaya is also not to eat as a whole.
- Grate small papaya and boil it in a required amount of water. Strain and drink the water 2-3 times a day.
Cumin seed is a digestive herb found in every Indian kitchen and is added at first in almost all the vegetable recipes. It produces digestive enzymes in the stomach which avoids bloating and acidity. Proper functioning of the stomach helps intestine to do their work perfectly. And thus overall system remains in god shape.
It produces digestive enzymes in the stomach which avoids bloating and acidity. Proper functioning of the stomach helps intestine to do their work perfectly. And thus overall system remains in good shape and prevents diarrhoea in the first place.
- Take roasted cumin seeds and make a fine powder. Mix one teaspoon of cumin powder to a glass of buttermilk and drink it twice a day.
6. Coconut water
Coconut water is the most natural and fresh beverage you can have to treat dehydration caused by diarrhoea. It is full of healthy nutrients and also quenches your thirst in minutes.
It meets the body’s daily need of fluids while the person is suffering from diarrhoea.
- Drink two glass coconut water in a day.
Coriander leaves are the natural toner and stimulate the proper digestive activity of the body. Fresh leaves are helpful in a number of diseases of digestive system like acidity, flatulence, intestinal infections etc. Thus provide easy and fast relief from diarrhoea.
- Grind few fresh coriander leaves and add the paste to fresh buttermilk.
- Also, you can prepare chutney by grinding together coriander leaves, green chillies and a small piece of ginger.
Jamun bark and leaf have antidiarrhoeal properties and grows in abundance in India.. It is a very nutritious fruit containing a lot of iron beneficial in anaemia and jaundice.
It helps cure digestion related ailment effectively.
- Drink one cup of plum juice twice a day.
Isabgol is a natural plant found in India and is also used widely in India for gastrointestinal problems. It is mainly a fibre that tones the stomach and digestive system.
It soothes down the inflammation in the intestines and relieves the upset stomach. Isabgol mixed with curd is the best remedy to provide relief from diarrhoea. The curd is rich in probiotics which treat the infection in stomach and isabgol hardens the stool.
- Take 1 small bowl of curd and mix 2 tablespoons of isabgol to it. Eat it instantly as it swells up fast. Eat it 2-3 times a day and see the result in just one day.
10. Rice water
Rice water is the best remedy for both adults and children while suffering from diarrhoea. The starch present in rice water retains the fluid requirement of the body. It is light to digest and also looks after the nutritional requirement of the body in the absence of solid food.
- Cook rice in the triple amount of water.
- Strain the rice and drink the remaining rice water 2-3 times a day.
- Don’t take any solid food and milk for 2-3 days.
- Eat light foods like khichri, curd, lassi, coconut water.
- Take sugar and water mixture as many times you can to rehydrate the body.
- Don’t eat processed and canned food.
- Avoid the drinks containing a large amount of sugar.
- Avoid high fibre content foods like whole grain, vegetables and spicy.