A sore throat is mainly accompanied with pain and itching in the throat. You find it hard to swallow the food and also the voice becomes hoarse and rough.
The main reason behind a sore throat is viral infection and inflammation of tonsils. It can occur to anyone but some people are more prone to a sore throat like those who smoke and those who have a certain type of allergies.
Main symptoms which indicate a sore throat are an irritability and pain in the throat, hoarseness in the voice and swollen tonsils.
It is a very common problem and can be dealt at home with some natural and easy remedies which do not have any side effect on the body. There is no need to rush for the analgesics and antibiotics
So, here is the list of list of home remedies for sore throat:
Ginger is an expectorant as it helps melt away the mucus in your throat and respiratory system. Thus clears the air passage and heals the itchy throat.
The aroma is ginger opens up the sinus, blockage of which causes cold and sore throat.
- Chewing a piece of ginger produces saliva and soothes a sore throat.
- Add some grated ginger to the boiling water to make a nice and soothing decoction. Gulp down this hot and aromatic drink twice a day.
Salt water is the best remedy to cure a sore throat. It provides relief to the swollen neck glands and reduces the irritation. Salt water gargle also kills infection-causing bacteria and virus in the throat.
- Add a half teaspoon of salt to a glass of hot water.
- Gargle with this salt water for at least 3-4 times a day for a quick relief.
Coriander acts as a natural coolant and soothes down the inflamed neck glands. It opens up the congestion in the throat and reduces the pain and irritation in the tonsils.
- Fresh juice of leaves is used as a gargle for a sore throat 2-3 times a day.
- Also, you can drink the fresh juice of coriander leaves.
4. Hot Toddy
A Hot Toddy is a natural and very ancient method to open the congestion in the throat. It is a mixture of honey and lemon with a small amount of alcohol.
Both honey and lemon are antiseptic and soothing in nature. These are believed to cure a sore throat effectively.
- Take one cup of water and boil it.
- Add one teaspoon lemon juice, one teaspoon honey and 2 tablespoons of rum(or any other alcohol).
- Stir them well and drink it before going to bed.
Clove is one of the must-have kitchen spices owing to the number of health benefits it has. It is anti bacterial and anti inflammatory in nature. These properties make it an efficient and perfect remedy for a sore throat. It provides a quick relief too.
- Add 1-2 cloves in a glass of boiling water. Gargle with this water 2 times a day.
6. Red chilli powder
Red chilli powder is a very spicy spice available in the kitchen. The spice shows a strong action on the mucuos membrane in the neck. It fights against the virus present in the tonsils and relieves them from the pain and irritation.
- Add one-fourth teaspoon of red chilli powder to the one glass of hot water.
- Gargle with this water twice a day.
Turmeric is also antiseptic and antibacterial in nature which makes it a perfect natural remedy for a sore throat.
- Add a pinch of turmeric o a glass of warm water and gargle properly with this water for 2-3 times a day.
- Also, you can drink this turmeric mixed water empty stomach in the morning. Repeat this for 2 days.
- Avoid drinking milk.
- Quit smoking.