Hiccups are a very amusing thing when occurring to others but if occurs to oneself then it becomes irritating and causes a lot of embarrassment in public. It can not be controlled or willed against and comes on its own reflex.
It is caused when there is a sudden contraction of the diaphragm, which results into inhaling more air and vocal cords close, producing hiccup sound.
The sure reasons are not yet known but some most possible reasons identified are carbonated drinks, excessive alcohol, smoking, eating fast, spicy food and the emotional stress.
Generally, hiccups get pacified on its own after some time. But these are so irritating and embarrassing that one can not just wait patiently for it to subside. Additionally, if long and deep hiccups continue for some minutes, it causes pain in the chest and throat too.
So, here is the list of home remedies for hiccups:
Water is the most commonly used method to stop hiccups. It interferes with the hiccup cycle and halts them at once.
- Drink a glass of water in one go.
- Or else, gargle with water.
2. Peanut butter
Peanut butter is also effective in controlling consistent hiccups. It is sticky to eat and while you try to chew and swallow peanut butter it alters the breathing pattern. Thus, hiccups stop.
- Eat a spoon full of peanut butter.
3. Inhale and exhale
Inhaling and exhaling deeply always provides mental relaxation. In this case, too it interrupts the hiccup cycle and provides little relief to the rapidly contracting diaphragm.
- Inhale gently and hold the breath for few minutes.
- Then exhale slowly and gently.
- Repeat the process till the hiccup stops.
4. Cardamom or Elaichi
Cardamom is a very good remedy to provide relief from continuous hiccups.
- Place one cardamom in your mouth and do not chew it. Let it dissolve by itself slowly.
Honey relaxes the muscles and stops hiccup as easily as other remedies.
- Mix 1 tea spoon of honey in a water and drink it.
- Or else, just eat it.
Sugar is a great remedy for the hiccup, especially for children as eating sugar is their fantasy. It stops the hiccup instantly.
- Take a spoon of sugar and allow it dissolve by itself. Do not chew it.
Lemon is a pacifier which controls the acid reflux in the body which can also contribute to the hiccups. The sour taste of lemon also interrupts the hiccup cycle.
- Take half a spoon undiluted lemon juice in your mouth and swallow it.
- Or else, mix half a lemon juice in a glass of water and drink it in one go.
Ginger is an anti inflammatory and soothing agent. It soothes down the rapid contraction of the diaphragm.
- Chew a small piece of raw ginger.
- Do not eat spicy food.
- Do not overeat.
- Never eat too fast.
- Say no to alcohol, smoking and carbonated drinks.