Dandruff is a problem concerning all the age groups from child to old, not leaving anyone behind. It mainly occurs on the scalp due to dry skin, the growth of bacteria or fungus on the scalp, not rinsing the shampoo properly, dirty hair and improper diet, stress and many such factors.
Dandruff is a white colored flake that causes uncontrollable itching embarrassing the person in front of others. It also leads to acne and pimples on the face.
There are many anti-dandruff shampoos available in the market but these are costly and also have many side effects. So it’s better to first try the home made remedies which are natural and have no adverse effects at all.
Here is the list of home remedies for dandruff:
1. Coconut oil and lemon
Coconut oil is a well known nourishing agent for the hair. It soothes down the itching scalp and moisturizes the dry hair and scalp.
- Heat sufficient quantity of coconut oil.
- Add the half amount of lemon juice in it.
- Massage your head with it and wash after 30 minutes.
Curd acts as a perfect exfoliator for dead skin cells deposited in the form of dandruff flake. it soothes down the itching scalp and nourishes the scalp and hair with proteins and vitamins.
- Take a whipped curd and apply it evenly from root follicles to the tips.
- Allow it to rest for 1 hour.
- Wash the head with a mild shampoo.
3. Fenugreek seeds
Fenugreek seeds are very effective in maintaining the healthy and shiny hair. These keeps dandruff away and cools the inflammatory scalp.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Strain the water in morning and grind the fenugreek seeds.
- Apply this paste on your hair and wash after an hour.
- Also, shampoo the hair.
- Repeat this once a week.
4. Neem or Indian Lilac
Neem has antibacterial and antifungal properties and thus is used to treat fungal infections on the scalp that leads to dandruff.
- Boil few neem leaves.
- Grind these leaves to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste evenly on your hair and leave for an hour.
- Repeat it once a week.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has the cooling property that soothes down the itching scalp. Also, it is antifungal and antibacterial in nature that fights the infections and also exfoliates the scalp.
- Take an aloe vera leaf.
- Cut it horizontally and take out the thick and transparent gel.
- Apply this smooth and cool gel on your head and leave it for 1 hour.
- Wash with mild shampoo and repeat it twice a week.
6. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is again an antifungal and helps cure dandruff.
- Mix few drops of tea tree oil with a tablespoon of olive or coconut oil. Massage it into the scalp and leave for 30 minutes. Wash the hair with mild shampoo.
- Add one drop of tea tree oil to a handful of shampoo and wash with it.
7. Henna or mehndi
Henna is nice conditioning and nourishing agent. It keeps the hair healthy, shining and smooth.
- Mix henna with water and lemon juice and leave it for a night.
- Apply it evenly on your scalp next day.
- Rinse off the henna and shampoo your hair.