Tea tree oil is extracted from the branches and leaves of tree named Melaleuca Alternifolia, found mainly in Australia. It is an essential oil possessing healing properties for many diseases. It is a medicinal oil used since old times for wounds, cuts, burns, nail health, respiratory problems, cold and flu and many others.
Many of its great properties are antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic, antiviral, insecticide and antibiotic. These features make it perfect for any kind of infection of the body and a must have at home.
Tea tree oil should not be used alone due to its heavy properties. Always mix it with some carrier oil like almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil or castor oil and then use it as you want for outer applications.
Now let’s have a look at various uses of tea tree oil.
Benefits of Tea Tree oil for skin
1. Prevents Acne
Tea tree oil has antimicrobial properties that kill the bacteria responsible for acne on the body. It also helps lighten up the acne scars and spots formed on the skin. Thus it maintains a naturally moisturized and spotless skin with everything in balance.
- Mix the oil with honey and use it as a face wash daily, rubbing for 1 minute and then wash it off.
- Or else, mix it with water and apply it on the affected skin with a cotton swab once a day.
2. Gives Shining skin
Tea tree oil avoids acne and blemishes, providing clear skin. This in return gives glowing skin.
- Mix tea tree oil with almond oil and apply it on well cleansed face.
3. Treats minor cuts
Minor cuts are very common mishaps of daily life. This oil comes handy and its antibacterial and healing properties help treat the cuts and wounds. Also, wipes away any chance of infection in wounds.
- Apply pure tea tree oil daily on the cuts and wounds for 1 month.
4. Treats Psoriasis and Eczema
Tea tree oil works well for any type of skin infection and inflammation. It is the best natural treatment available for eczema and also reduces psoriasis.
- Mix few drops of the oil with same amount of coconut oil. Apply it daily on affected body parts.
5. Treats Nail Fungus
Nails require regular care and attention. Otherwise, they get dirty, brittle and lose their shine. When the fungal growth inside nail is ignored for long, it can become severe and lead to pain, yellowness, bad odor etc. The fungal growth can be treated with the help of tea tree oil. It gets absorbed deep into the skin and fights away the fungus growth there. Also, its regular use keeps the natural shine and overall health of nails intact.
- Massage the nail with as much tea tree oil so that it gets penetrated into the skin easily. Repeat this 2 times a day.
- Or else, add few drops of the oil in the warm water and then soak your nails in this water for few minutes. Then pat them dry. Do this once a day.
6. For Skin Cancer
Tea tree oil is anti-cancerous that acts as a toxin for cancer cells. The research has been conducted on mice with skin tumors. It has shown positive results in just one day of application. This wonder oil hindered the growth of cancer cells and nullified the effect of existing ones, rendering them dead and damaged.
7. Cures skin infections
Ringworm and athlete’s foot are very common skin infections that occur due to the fungal growth on your body. The fungus named dermatophytes thrive in the warm and moist parts of body and leads to severe skin infections causing itching, redness and lot of pain.
As tea tree oil is anti-fungal it works best for these skin infections providing relief in just a few days.
- Apply few drops of the oil on the affected area at least 2-3 times a day regularly.
Benefits of Tea Tree oil for Hair
8. For Head Lice
Head lice are very creatures that dwell in the hairs and suck the blood from root follicles. Once they reproduce into your head, it’s not an easy task to get rid of them. With the help of tea tree oil, the task becomes easy. This antibacterial and antiseptic oil very efficiently help you out in their removal.
- Apply a sufficient amount of the oil to your head overnight.
- In the morning comb your hair with the special comb, that pulls out the lice stuck tightly in hair.
9. Removes Dandruff
Dandruff occurs due to the presence dry and dead skin cells on the scalp that is neglected of any nourishment. White colored flakes appear on the scalp surface and cause a lot of itching and hair fall both. Tea tree oil provides the required nourishment. Its cleansing properties also clean the dirt and dead skin cells accumulated on the scalp.
- Massage a sufficient amount of oil in your head and leave it overnight.
- Wash the head with shampoo next day.
10. For Long and thick hair
Hair root follicles require proper amount of nourishment like vitamins, proteins and other minerals to maintain long and thick hair.
- Mix tea tree oil with a carrier oil like almond oil, coconut oil or olive oil.
- Massage this oil in your head and keep it overnight.
- Wash it off in the morning.
11. Home cleaner
It acts as a very good household cleaner attributing to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It disinfects the house and other household items like laundry, kitchen counter, basins, bathroom and table tops by killing the germs and bacteria.
- Mix some drops of tea tree oil and baking soda with water and spray this mixture in the areas that need cleaning. Then wipe the mixture with a cloth.
12. As a deodorant
Being anti fungal and anti bacterial it just kills off the bacteria present in underarms and other body parts. These bacteria are the main reason behind the bad odor of body.
- Rub a drop of tea tree oil in your underarms after taking shower. Take a gap between shower and rubbing the oil so to allow the pores to close down.
13. Removes Bad Breath
The antiseptic property of tea tree oil removes the bacteria present in the mouth. Bad breath is caused due to foul smelling bacteria.
- Make your own mouthwash by mixing few drops of the same oil to the warm water. Use it to clean your mouth daily.
- Or else, mix a drop to the toothpaste while you go to brush your teeth.
14. Kills insects
Insects give rise to diseases, so they need to be got rid of. The antimicrobial property and medicated smell of this oil suffocates the insects.
- Mix tea tree oil with water and spray it into the house.
15. For flu and respiratory problems
This oil is antiviral and antibacterial that help treats the nasal and respiratory infections. It is found to be very effective in cold, flu, viral fever, asthma and other respiratory problems. It opens up congestion in the chest and cleanses away the esophagus to avoid asthma or bronchitis. Also, treats a sore throat and provides relief in cough.
- Take a warm water and add few drops of tea tree oil. Inhale the steam for instant relief. Repeat this twice a day.
16. For pest control in garden
Plants in the garden need a lot of care and attention. They easily get attacked by bacteria and fungus in absence of good care. Sticky fungal growth sucks the life out of the plant and kills them to the core.
- Add 2-3 drops of the oil to a glass of water and spray this water on whole plant at the regular interval of 5 days.
- Follow the routine in the early morning as oily leaves tend to burn in hot spells.