Everyone must have gone through that phase of life in childhood when the hair used to be home to hundreds of lice and their eggs. Head Lice are very small parasites and are just too stubborn and once they come into your hair, it’s not an easy task to remove them. They get tightly stuck on the hair roots and suck blood from the head. This way, by sucking the blood from the brain, they grow.
They are so tiny that it needs an utter concentration and a neat eyesight of the person who is at the task of removing them. And they reproduce quickly, so it’s not all over in just a few days, this work needs many hard days of patience.
They cause head itching and irritation. And in some cases when there are a lot of lice living in your head for a long time, a person gets weak, brain power decreases and facial skin loses its natural color( looking dull and dark).
You can develop lice in your head by coming in close contact with the already infected person in any way whether by playing, sleeping, sitting together or even using their comb or other personal items.
There are many chemically treated shampoos available in the market which claim to kill these parasites. But these shampoos are made up with pesticides which are very harmful to your overall health. So. its advisable to stay away from them and go for the home remedies as these are safe to use and comes at a low price too.
Here is the list of home remedies for head lice:
Head lice are firmly rooted on the scalp and need a lot of efforts for removal. Combing is a good option as it sweeps out many lice at once if done properly. These are not the general regular combs we are talking about. These tiny parasites need a special nit combs. These combs are to be used patiently and daily until you are well sure of the lice free scalp.
- Apply any good hair oil in your head.
- Wrap a towel around your shoulders, so that while combing lice fall on this towel and it will be easy to dispose of them.
- Now, start combing tightly and slowly from roots in the scalp. Comb several times until you are satisfied.
- After this wash your head with a good shampoo.
Neem oil is another good remedy for the head lice treatment. It is very safe to use being extracted directly from fruits and seeds of the neem tree. Neem has a very pungent odor which eventually kills the lice, they are not able to breathe in this sharp smell. Also, it is antiseptic and anti-inflammatory in nature which further helps to recover from the itching, infection or any other harm caused by the head lice.
- Apply some neem oil in your head and leave it overnight.
- Wash your hair in the morning with a good shampoo to remove dead nits and head lice.
3. Olive oil
Olive oil is also an effective remedy working by suffocating the head lice and ultimately killing them.
- Apply some olive oil gently in your hair before going to bed.
- In the morning, comb out the dead lice and wash the hair with a nice shampoo.
4. Coconut oil
Coconut oil works just like olive oil, it suffocates the head lice. Also, its sticky nature makes them lose their grip on the hairs.
- Apply a generous amount of coconut oil in your head while going to sleep.
- Use the nit comb properly the next morning for complete removal of dead lice and eggs.
- And then wash your hair with a good shampoo.
5. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil acts as an insecticide and helps you get rid of all the scalp infections. It doesn’t allow head lice and nits to reproduce and loosens their grip on the hairs.
- Apply a small amount of tea tree oil evenly to your infected scalp and hair.
- Keep it for 2-3 hours and then rinse your hair with a nice shampoo.
- Repeat this process 2-3 days regularly to remove all the nits and lice.
With this daunting and tiring task of head lice removal at hand, salt helps avoid all the worries. Being a natural antiseptic it very easily removes the lice and that too in less time.
- Mix salt and the vinegar together. Now apply this mixture evenly in your hair.
- Keep this for 1-2 hours and after that rinse your hair with a gentle shampoo.