Jaundice is a very commonly occurring disease related to the liver that largely affects the newborn babies. If not look after on time, it can develop into a deadly disease.
Jaundice occurs due to the high level of a yellow colored pigment called bilirubin in the body. Bilirubin is produced during the natural processes of the body and it’s upon the liver to flush out the excess of it in sync with kidneys. And when the liver does not perform this function properly then it causes jaundice.
The liver malfunctioning can occur due to many reasons like gallstones causing blockage of the bile duct, hepatitis, infection, pancreatic cancer, malaria, thyroid, anaemia and blood disorders.
The main symptoms of jaundice are yellowishness of skin, eyes and urine. Other ones are high fever, headache, constipation etc.
Adopting home remedies for jaundice just at the onset of the disease help in the quick cure. Along with medicines, changes in eating pattern and various lifestyle changes are also required for the fast recovery and to avoid the disease from taking fatal shape.
Here is the list of best home remedies for jaundice:
Radish is the most sought after and one of the well known home remedies for jaundice. It helps to purify the blood by removing the harmful toxins and excess bilirubin from the body. It also helps in the easy digestion of food, thus work well for the liver.
- Eat raw and fresh one radish a day regularly for 10 days.
- Or else, extract the juice of radish or its leaves.
- Drink one glass regularly for 10 days for fast recovery.
Sugarcane is the best source of natural sugar or glucose required by our body to maintain the high energy levels. While suffering from jaundice blood sugar level goes down and thus sugarcane is the best way to replenish it to gain some energy and also keep yourself hydrated.
- Drink 1- 2 glass of diluted and fresh sugarcane juice daily for a quick recovery.
- Also, add cumin powder and a lemon juice to the juice for good digestion.
Tomato has nutrients that help to cure the liver and relieves the person from jaundice. It helps flush out disease causing waste products from the body.
- Boil 2-3 medium sized tomatoes and then peel off their skin.
- Blend them to make a smoothie. Drink this at least twice a day.
4. Bitter gourd or Karela
Bitter gourd is also an effective treatment for jaundice. The presence of various vitamin, iron and other nutrients make it an ideal natural medicine for many diseases. It purifies the blood by removing harmful toxins.
Thus, it heals the damaged liver and helps in easy digestion of food.
- Boil 2- 3 karela. Squeeze them and then sieve the clear juice by adding little water.
- Drink 2-3 tablespoons of this juice empty stomach for at least a week.
Buttermilk is a very healthy drink with no unwanted fats and very easily digestible. It has nutrients that hydrate the body and help the liver fight against jaundice.
Generally, buttermilk is recommended on normal days also to keep yourself fit and fine.
- Drink 1-2 glass of fresh buttermilk daily.
- Add roasted cumin powder and black pepper powder to enhance its effectiveness.
Barley is helpful in flushing out toxins from the body. In this process, an excess of bilirubin accumulated in the liver also gets flush out which ultimately provides relief in jaundice.
- Add a teaspoon of roasted barley seeds in a cup of water.
- Also, add one teaspoon of honey and salt to taste.
- Drink this mix at least two times a day for a week.
7. Basil leaves or Tulsi
Tulsi is a sacred plant worshipped ardently at every Indian household. The wonderful medicinal properties of tulsi are worldwide well known. It is beneficial for the liver too. While suffering from jaundice it heals the damaged liver and restores the good health.
- Chew 5 leaves of Tulsi in the morning for at least one week.
- Or else, make a paste of Tulsi leaves and eat it mixed with honey.
- Or else, take the juice of 4-5 tulsi leaves by adding some water and add a pinch of powdered black pepper. Drink a spoon of this juice in the noon.
Lemon is the best detoxifying agent due to its acidic nature. It removes all the harmful and disease causing foreign particles from the body. This is a sure shot remedy and should be adopted at once on the onset of jaundice and till it subsides.
- Mix one lemon juice in a glass of warm water. You can also add honey and black salt to taste.
- Drink it empty stomach in the morning until jaundice heals completely.
Banana is also helpful in curing jaundice and will also keep your stomach full. It is easily digestible so doesn’t put extra pressure on the liver.
- Mash a ripe banana and eat it twice a day to pacify your hunger cravings.
- Avoid fried, junk and oily food.
- Avoid alcohol, tea and coffee.
- Take proper rest for few days.
- Eat only boiled and raw vegetables and fruits.
- Drink boiled water and fruit juices only.
- Eat only easily digestible food.