Do you suffer from chronic headaches for 10-15 days in a row? Then that’s the migraine. The main symptoms of migraine are pounding headache, light and sound sensitivity, and nausea.
- Sitting in the broad day sunlight for prolonged hours
- The strong odor of anything
- Empty stomach for long hours
- High volume
- Stress at work or home
So avoiding these risky situations is the best solution to migraines in the first place. But if by some reason you get into such a situation then we have a list of home remedies to provide you immediate relief.
Home Remedies for Migraine are:
Ginger is an analgesic in nature that can provide temporary relief from severe headaches or migraines.
- Boil a piece of ginger in a cup of water and drink this infused water hot.
- Make some tea for yourself with a good amount of ginger added to it. The aroma of ginger wafting from a hot cup of tea would soothe the headache.
2. Ajwain or Aniseeds
Ajwain is strong by nature and releases a strong aroma and strong flavors once chewed. It is multi beneficient and has the properties to provide relief from migraine.
- Boil a few ajwain seeds into some water. Then drink this hot water sip by sip.
- Also, roast some seeds and tie them in a cloth. Apply this warm and aromatic potli on the migraine affected areas and also breathe in its aroma to provide relief to the aching brain nerves.
Yoga is the most trending activity these days. Attributing to the myriad of health benefits it provides, it is right to be on trend. The daily practice of yoga avoids the onset of migraines in the first place. Because when you perform various yoga postures, the blood circulates very efficiently to every part of the body. Thus whole body remains in good shape.
For reference to the various yogic postures that are a very good remedy for migraine, refer to this page.
Acupressure is applying good pressure to the specific points and areas on the body to get relief from a particular ailment. It is very effective if the right points are pressed and provides instant relief from chronic migraine pain.
- The acupressure point for migraine is between the base of the left hand’s thumb and index finger.
5. Lavender oil
Lavender oil soothes down the chronic headache due to its cooling properties.
- Mix a few drops of oil in boiling water and then inhale the vapors coming out.
- Also, you can rub little oil on various parts of your body like behind the ears, on the forehead.
6. Proper diet
Proper and timely intake of diet is extremely important for overall health. Sometimes migraine also gets triggered when you do not eat balanced food on a fixed time every day. So, do not skip your meals for anything else and especially if you suffer from migraines.
7. Breathing Exercises
Deep breathing is the fastest remedy for migraines. When a person is in a relaxed state he ought to take long and slow breaths, sucking more oxygen into the bloodstream. So, when plenty of oxygen reaches the brain nerves, it reduces the headache automatically.
- Apply 3-2-5 breathing formula whenever you have migraine attacks.
- Count to 3 and inhale through your nose, filling the stomach with air so that it swells up.
- Then hold your breath to the count of 2.
- Now release the air or exhale very slowly at the count of 5.
- Repeat this cycle for 3-5 times for relief.
8. Massage Therapy
Massage increases the blood circulation and provides relief to the aching muscles. It is a very effective remedy for headaches and migraines. It is shown by studies many a time that massage also develops the feelings of caring and comfort that helps them sleep better without any stress and tension in the nerves. Migraine attacks have proven to be reduced after receiving a good massage.
- Slowly press the head, neck and shoulder parts gently with the thumb applying light pressure in the circular motion.
- Massage with some soothing oil lightly and gently.