As winter comes, dry skin tiptoes along with. Dry skin causes much irritation, itching and patchy skin. It makes skin look lifeless and dull. Thus to refill life into the skin, we need to humidify.
There are a lot of moisturizers of various brands present in the market claiming to give best results. They do give good results but are short lived and also contains lots of chemicals which if applied on regular basis affects the skin adversely in long run.
Natural remedies are easily available at home only, give good results in long run and have no side effects on the skin. Additionally, they are inexpensive too in comparison to fancy moisturizing creams and lotions.
Here are top home remedies for dry skin:
1. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is one of the best remedies to deal with winters. Fatty acids present in coconut oil seals the moisture in your body. It heals the dry skin and makes it soft and supple.
- Take a shower and then pat skin dry, leaving some moisture on your body. Now apply the coconut oil on the moist skin.
- Or else, coconut oil can also be applied before going for a bath.
Glycerin is the best remedy for dry skin. Basically, glycerin is one of the ingredients along with many other chemicals of all the high rated moisturizers found in the market. But if glycerin used in its raw form gives the best results and its pocket-friendly too. It nourishes the skin pore to pore and leaves skin soft, fresh and lively all day long. Chapped skin and lips get recovered in one day only.
- Mix one drop of glycerin with 2 drops of rose water or gulabjal, as glycerin is little sticky which feels somehow irritating.
- Apply the mixture on your body while going to bed at night. When applied overnight it works wonder.
3. Olive oil
Olive oil also contains fatty acids just like coconut oil. This keeps the skin conditioned whole day. Skin looks lively and fresh.Itching and irritation on dry skin followed by cold temperature just vanish away.
- Apply olive oil on your whole body after taking shower.
4. Milk Cream
Milk cream is the most natural of its kind and acts as the best moisturizer for the dry skin. It provides natural softness and essential nutrients to the body. The lactic acid present in milk cream is the main component acting to curb dryness.
- Take some milk cream in a bowl and apply it on your whole body before taking a shower.
- When milk cream is mixed with gram flour, it makes a paste. This, when applied on the body, gives shine and softness to the skin.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a herbal plant that can be grown in abundance even at the house. It has many healing and soothing properties. It keeps the skin hydrated and moisturized. Apart from that it also has anti-inflammatory properties that heal the irritating and dry skin.
- Take a leaf of Aloe vera.
- Cut it horizontally from mid.
- After cutting, the gel will come out, collect it with a spoon.
- Apply the gel on your face and body.
- Wash after few minutes.
Aloe Vera gel really has many other benefits for your body. Use it daily for best results.
6. Almond oil
Almond oil is just wonderful for the skin. It has nutrients and vitamins that nourish the skin and injects life into it. It seeps into the skin and helps get rid of the dry and flaky skin.
- Apply almond oil on your body before going to bed.
- Or else, Apply almond oil after taking bath when the skin is still moist.
7. Olive oil
Olive oil is also an amazing solution for your winter skin care woes. It attracts and locks moisture into the skin. Being loaded with a lot of nutrients it fulfills the requirement of the body.
But it should be applied in generous amount only. Overdoing it on regular basis will give way to pimples.
- Apply a small amount of olive oil on the body after taking bath.
8. Mustard oil
Mustard oil is a best massaging oil. It has anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties that for sure heal the dry, itching and irritating skin. The nourishment it provides is magical imparting natural sheen and shine to the dull skin of the body and keeps the shine intact for at least 24 hours of applying.
- Massage mustard oil on your whole body except face before going to take bath.
It is too rich an oil to be applied on the sensitive facial skin as it can lead to the oily and pimply skin.
9. Gram flour
Gram flour imparts a natural glow to the skin that goes amiss in winters. The cold temperature and chilling winds take away the moisture from the skin leaving it dull and dry. This home remedy will help you get rid of itchy and dry skin effectively with no side effect in the long run.
- Mix gram flour with a rose water to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on your face and wash it off after 10 -15 minutes.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a week for good results.
Yogurt is a natural hydrating source for the dull and dry skin. It is good in both the forms, when applied externally and when taken internally. The cooling effect of yogurt soothes down the irritation and itching. It nourishes the skin and locks the moisture for a greater period of time.
- Apply yogurt on your whole body with the hands and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off and pat dry. Repeat this once a day.