Coughing is not an uncommon ailment diagnosed all over the world. In fact, it is one of the most common reasons for a visit to a doctor. Coughs are caused due to two main reasons – cold/flu and allergies.
Here we are talking about the coughing due to the allergies or asthma. The symptom of an allergic cough is very diverse and are listed as follows:
- Triggers with seasonal change, when allergens are more active in a particular weather.
- Continues for weeks or even a month.
- Increase in coughing in particular place like at the office you are fine but gets triggered at home at night due to the presence of allergens like smoke, dust etc.
The only reason behind this allergic or an asthmatic cough is the presence of allergens in the atmosphere. A person can be allergic to anything like smoke, dust, pollen, mites, cold and some food items. It can be detected with the help of blood tests done in consultation with a doctor.
It should be treated timely otherwise can take the shape of chronic bronchitis which can be dangerous to one’s life. Home remedies work best and develop your immunity, in the long run, making you devoid of any allergic effect permanently.
Here is the list of home remedies for allergic cough:
Ginger is a natural herb very well known for its medicinal properties. It reduces the inflammation and itching of the throat. An allergic cough is effectively soothed down by the ginger when used regularly.
- Add a small amount of grated ginger to the glass of boiling water. Also, add some black salt and drink it at least two times a day.
Honey deals effectively with all the throat infections and is known as a cough suppressant. It soothes down the itching and irritation in the throat. Honey reduces the allergic cough, which in addition heal a cough.
- Eat 1 teaspoon of honey twice a day.
- Or else, add honey to the one cup of hot water with a lemon. Drink it twice a day.
Steam is the best alternative for an allergic cough. As pollutants accumulated in the lungs trigger this problem, so steam help flush them out and cleanse the lungs, nose and throat. The relief comes instantly after doing this activity.
Pour 2-3 drops of peppermint oil in the steaming water and breathe in this steam covering your face with a towel.
Pour few drops of eucalyptus oil in the boiling water and now breathe in the scented vapors, the same way as said above.
4. Herbal tea
Herbal tea or a concoction reduce the inflammation in the airways. A hot and soothing herbal tea opens the passages and helps the immune system to work properly. Furthermore, good immune sysytem prevents the allergic cough or asthma.
- Take 2- 3 tulsi leaves, small amount of grated ginger, one teaspoon lemon juice and one teaspoon honey.
- Mix all these herbs in a cup of hot water.
- Drink it while it is hot and repeat this twice a day for instant relief.
5. Giloy juice
Giloy juice builds the immunity and prevents the body from giving up to the allergens. It is anti-allergic in nature and protects the body from the attack of seasonal allergens that trigger a allergic cough or asthma.
- Take 1 cup of normal water and add 2 tablespoons of the juice.
- Drink this twice a day.
6. Turmeric milk
Turmeric milk is the best remedy effective in many ailments. But most of all it is highly beneficial for those suffering from allergies or asthma. Turmeric is antiseptic in nature which helps boost the immunity and prevents any seasonal allergic cough.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to a glass of hot milk.
- Drink it at night while you go to bed.
Gargle is the best remedy to heal the sore or irritated throat. Hot water reduces the inflammation of wind pipe and suppresses a cough. It provides great relief to the infected respiratory system of the body.
- Mix a pinch of rock salt to a glass of hot water.
- Gargle with this water at least twice a day.