Pregnancy is such a beautiful period in every women’s life that comes with its own ups and downs. The body goes through a mirage of changes both internally and externally. The hormonal changes that occur inside leads to the altering body functions like slow digestion, abdominal pain, frequent urination acidity and constipation.
Constipation in pregnancy occurs due to:
- Excess production of progesterone hormone that causes the relaxation of intestinal muscles and slows down the digestion.
- Iron supplements given for the proper growth o baby also trigger constipation.
This constant constipation in pregnancy does not hurt the baby in any way. But it does effect the mother in following ways:
- Loss of appetite
- mood swings
- fatigue and dullness
- abdominal pain
Thus treating constipation is very necessary to remain happy and healthy during pregnancy and relish the golden moments of one’s life.
Now for treatment we have a tendency to go to doctor, who effortlessly give you the laxatives. these medicines do harm the baby growing inside you in one or other way. So try to refrain from laxatives and any other drug as much as possible for the sake of your baby.
There are number of natural home remedies available which would help you out without effecting your baby.
Here is the list of home remedies for constipation in pregnancy:
- 1. Increase the fluid intake
Fluids are essential for overall good functioning of body. Plenty of water consumption is very important for the good health of baby. It cures dehydration and thus overcome constipation too.
Yogurt is a best natural probiotic that induces good bacteria in the gut and keeps it healthy by flushing out toxins and waste materials. Thus helps maintain a sound gut health.
3. Raisins (munakka)
Raisins or munakka are very effective and efficient home remedy for constipation in pregnancy. these are rich in fibre that adds bulk to the stool and softens it for easy passage.
- Soak 4-5 munakkas in a glass of water overnight.
- Eat these in the morning.
- Also, drink this raisin soaked water, it will give you instant results.
4. Fig (anjeer)
Fig or anjeer is a dry fruit that acts as a best laxative due to its high fibre content. Figs are also rich in vitamins, calcium and many minerals. These are tasty to eat, satiate the sweet cravings and cures the constipation in pregnancy.
- Soak 2-3 figs overnight in a glass of water. Eat them in the morning.
Include aerobics, yoga and slow walk in your morning and evening time routine during pregnancy. They help in reducing constipation and keep the digestion healthy.
- Practice safe yoga and exercises under the proper guidance of a doctor.
Oranges are rich source of vitamin C i.e citrus in nature that increases fibre content in the body. These are very nutritious for the body during pregnancy supplementing both fibre and fluid requirement of the body. Orange has many other health benefits which are good for mother and baby.
7. Lemon water
Lemon juice contains Vitamin C and it thus helps in clearing the intestines by flushing out the stool smoothly.
- Add a lemon juice to a glass of warm water.
- Drink it empty stomach every morning.
8. Prune juice
Prune juice softens the stool to ease the passage. It contains sorbitol that is a very good laxative.
- Drink half a cup of prune juice every morning to stimulate bowel movement.
9. Pshyllium husk (Isabgol)
Isabgol is a well known home remedy used since ages in every Indian household. It is the most natural way of keeping constipation at bay. It is basically a fibre that adds bulk to the stool.
- Add 2 tablespoon of isabgol in a half glass of milk.
- Eat this daily before going to bed.
10. Flax seeds
Flax seeds stimulate the digestive juices of the body and keeps it in good health. These have high nutritional benefits for the body and is also beneficial fr the growing baby inside.
- Add one teaspoon of flax seeds to the salad or take it with water.