A cough or bronchitis is the result of air pollutants, allergens, tobacco smoke and also resultant of cold. These are the main agents behind the airways inflammation and causes itchy and sore throat which in turn triggers a cough to clear the airways.
Coughing is the activity to get yourself rid of phlegm in the throat or the feeling of something irritating in the throat. Sometimes the incessant and unavoidable cough makes the one feel embarrassed in middle of a room full of people.
If a cough persists for a long time and if ignored as the common ailment, disastrous results can be seen in future. It can lead to Tuberculosis(TB) which is a deadly disease affecting the lungs.
Most people believe in consuming chemical syrups and medicines for its fast treatment but these are not effective and provides only temporary relief. In addition, they also affect the other parts of the body. So, it’s best to try some home remedies which are effective and efficient both at the same time.
Here we enlighten you with the best home remedies for cough:
1. Honey and garlic
Honey is antibacterial, analgesic and soothing. It moistens the dry throat and soothes down the itching. Honey is proved to be much more effective than any chemicals found in syrup like placebo and other cough suppressants.
Garlic is antimicrobial and an expectorant that fights down the bacterias and viruses in the throat and lungs.
- Eat 2 cloves of garlic empty stomach with a tablespoon of honey.
- Swallow one teaspoon of the plain honey empty stomach.
2. Mustard oil
Warm mustard oil has the property of stimulating the blood flow and opening the congestion in the chest. The warmth of the oil provides much-needed relief to the deceased chest as a result of an incessant cough.
This remedy is very effective for kids too.
- Take some warm mustard oil and add one pinch of crushed camphor in it.
- Massage it gently on the throat, chest, back and also on the soul of the feet during bed time.
3. Honey and lemon
Honey and lemon are the best combinations to treat itchy throat. Lemon is high in Vitamin C which fights against infections.
Honey is soothing and smooth as discussed above.
- Take one cup of warm water. Add one lemon and one tablespoon of honey and gulp it down.
Ginger is the most used herb in the Indian kitchen. It is a taste enhancer when added to any vegetable recipe. Serving the dual purpose, it is a very efficient medicine too. It kills down a cough-inducing bacteria and virus in the body and increases the immunity.
- Mix ginger juice with a pinch of black pepper and required amount of honey. Take this mixture 2-3 times a day.
- Add some grated ginger to boiling water. Drink the hot concoction 2-3 times a day and also inhale the steam coming out from it.
5. Betel leaves
Betel leaf has healing properties and is used as an ayurvedic medicine since ancient times in India. It has antiseptic properties and provides fast relief from a cough if taken properly.
Normally it is used as a ‘paan’ made by putting tobacco in the leaf and then chewing it. Tobacco use is dangerous for health so it should not be used like that.
- Take betel leaf juice, mix it with honey or with fresh ginger juice, for relief from a chronic cough.
- Boil betel leaves in a water and inhale the steam coming out. The steam eases out the phlegm and soothes the congested chest.
- Also, you can add freshly extracted betel juice to the warm mustard oil and camphor mixture. Apply the mixture on your chest.
7. Tulasi or Basil leaves
For a cough, the juice of Krishna (black) Tulasi, was a popular remedy in ancient times as prescribed in Charak Sanhita. It is antibacterial and fights off infections efficiently.
If taken properly it provides instant relief from a cough. Tulasi is good for kids too as it helps develop the immunity. Also, tulasi has a high proportion of mercury thus if taken in large number can harm the body.
- Extract juice of 5 tulasi leaves by adding few drops of water and mix it with honey. Take this 2 times a day for relief from a cough.
- Also, put some tulasi leaves and a small piece of ginger in a water and boil it. Take this concoction 2 times a day.
8. Giloy juice
Giloy or guduchi is an effective natural herb found in abundance and can be grown at home garden easily. The stem of giloy are very beneficial and are taken in form of powder and liquid.
It is believed to maintain the overall balance of body by eliminating all the three doshas of the body. It improves the immunity and thus protects the body from any external bacterial and viral infection that causes a cough.
- Grind few small stems with some water to make a fresh and refreshing juice. Drink it every morning.
- Take 2 tablespoons of giloy juice available in market mixed with one cup of water.
Turmeric is a commonly found herb present in almost all the Indian kitchens. The antibacterial and antiviral properties help fight away the infections.
- Take a glass of boiled milk and add a pinch of turmeric powder. Drink this two times a day.
- Also, gargle with the hot turmeric water twice a day.
10. Malabar nut or Adhatoda vasika
Malabar nut is very precious medicinal plant given by nature. It balances the pitta and kapha in our body and provides relief in all types respiratory diseases.
In acute bronchitis, especially where the sputum was thick and tenacious, the cough was relieved and sputum was liquefied.
- Crush Malabar leaves and eat them raw mixed with honey.