Diabetes has become a very common disease, influencing the blood sugar level of the person. It is also called diabetes mellitus in whole and this group of disease consists of Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes.
Type 1 – pancreas fails to produce enough insulin.
Type 2 – cells are not able to process insulin properly.
Gestational diabetes – pregnant woman develops high blood sugar level.
The main reasons behind increasing diabetes are rapidly deteriorating eating habits, busy lifestyles, hereditary factors, less physical work, obesity, fatty food and large consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks.
The main symptoms indicating the onset of diabetes are feeling hungry and thirsty in excess, frequent urination, weight loss in spite of eating too much and fatigue. If this disease left untreated can create further complications in long-term maybe after 10 years. These are diseases related to blood vessels like cardiovascular diseases (artery blockage, stroke), kidney damage, eye damage and nerve damage.
Diabetes can’t be cured completely, but it can be kept in balance with a good and healthy diet, regular exercise and relaxed lifestyle.
Here we provide you the list of best home remedies for diabetes:
Hypoglycemic activity of onion was observed when regular use of onion (50 g/day) reduced the insulin requirement of a diabetic patient from 40 to 20 units a day.
Moreover, red onion decreases the blood glucose and is very beneficial for diabetic patients.
- Eat one raw onion per day with meals.
Garlic is also the main recipe ingredient same as onion and is found in all kitchens. It is used in large amounts all over the world keeping in mind its large number of health benefits.
It is given in the raw form to control insulin levels or to regulate blood glucose levels. Regular use of garlic for a month assures the relief from diabetes.
- Eat 4- 5 cloves of garlic empty stomach in the morning.
3. Bael fruit
The bael fruit is also helpful in avoiding diabetes. It is beneficial in both types of diabetes except for the pregnant women.
- The juice of leaves with black pepper is prescribed by herbal practitioners.
- Also, the pulp eaten raw is also good for diabetes mellitus but should be consumed in a limited quantity.
Neem is a medicinal tree used since a long time in India for many diseases in different forms. It is antiseptic and antibacterial in nature. Its anti-diabetic property controls the high blood glucose level by regulating the insulin produced. The enough amount of insulin in the body allows the pancreas to break down sugar into energy.
High blood sugar or diabetes also results in poor blood circulation which causes cardiovascular diseases. Neem purifies the blood and makes it circulate throughout the body easily.
- Boil 2-3 neem leaves in a boiling water. Strain the water and drink it like tea. Repeat this 2 times a day.
5. Karela or bittergourd
Karela or bitter gourd is very bitter to taste (as the name itself suggests) when taken raw. But this not so delicious vegetable is very healthy and is highly beneficial for the diabetic patient. It is very effective in controlling diabetes.
According to researchers, even a small quantity of karela juice increases the insulin level of the body.
- Extract the juice of Karela in a grinder after peeling it off and removing the internal seeds.
- Drink it every morning empty stomach.
- Also, you can include one karela vegetable recipe in your daily meal.
Almond flour, made from the residue left after extracting almond oil and almond butter, is used for the preparation of food for diabetes patient.
In Indian medicine, almonds are considered highly nutritious, demulcent and stimulant nervine tonic. They are also considered diuretic.
Giloy is an ayurvedic remedy useful in many diseases. It takes care of the overall functioning of the body and enables the body to fight any type of infection.
It lowers down the high sugar levels in the blood and thus controls diabetes. Generally, giloy juice is available in the market. And if you want pure one then extract it at home, it’s very simple.
- Take giloy bark and grind it with some water. Strain the juice and drink it twice a day after meals.
Ginger is known to reduce diabetes by regulating insulin produced. Owing to its strong nature take it in small amounts.
- Take ginger juice with rock candy twice a day.
- Also, add ginger to the daily meals as a garnishing agent.
Cinnamon plays a significant role for diabetic people. It lowers down the blood sugar level keeping insulin level in check. It is highly recommended for uncontrolled type 2 diabetes.
But it should be taken in limited amounts as excess can be toxic due to its strong nature
- Mix one teaspoon of cinnamon powder in one cup of warm water and drink it daily.
- Also, you can add a pinch of cinnamon powder to the smoothies, soups and vegetables.
10. Jamun or Black Plum
Jamun, also known as Indian blackberry is a very effective remedy for diabetes mellitus. Leaves, seeds and fruits of the Jamun plant are widely used to bring down blood and urine sugar levels.
This fruit is very beneficial for pancreas and its functioning.
- Eat a handful of Jamun daily during the season time.
- Also, you can make a powder of Jamun seeds and take one spoon of powder with water twice a day.