Heartburn, also known as acid reflux is accounted for around 40% of people of US and among these 10% experience it on daily basis.
Acid reflux is not only the presence of an excess of acid in your stomach, it also refers to the inability of the stomach to store the acid required for food digestion. In that case, this acid comes upwards into the oesophagus (also known as food pipe) and throat. Thus causing a choking burning sensation in the throat and chest.
Symptoms of heartburn are gas, hiccups, chest pain, cough, itchy and sour throat. The chronic heartburn is called GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) and it can lead to oesophagus cancer if left untreated.
The various causes of heartburn are spicy, fatty and junk food, caffeinated drinks, obesity, smoking, alcohol, pregnancy, lying down just after eating food, Hiatal Hernia and other poor lifestyle practices.
Opting for antacid is never a good thing as our stomach needs acid for digestion process and these antacids only provide a temporary relief, giving way to a much bigger problem in future. So it’s always good to adopt natural remedies that provide the relief instantly and are also safe to use for longer periods of time.
To avoid this problem permanently at first place, it’s mandatory to follow good lifestyle habits as listed in the notes below.
Here is the list of home remedies for heartburn or acid reflux:
Water is the temporary remedy for the sudden burning sensation in the chest. It helps a little in soothing down the irritation and takes acid back to the stomach. Water is the immediate response to the heartburn problem.
Water is always a good remedy for any disease as the body remains in a constant need of good amount of water to carry out all the internal functions properly.
2. Baking soda
Baking soda is alkaline in nature that neutralizes the excess of acid formed in the stomach. In place of going for antacid tablets, use baking soda, which is also a very effective natural antacid. It provides instant relief from pain in the upper abdomen due to heartburn or acid reflux.
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water. And drink it in the one go.
Warning: Don’t use baking soda daily. Also, it is harmful to pregnant ladies and blood pressure patients.
3. Aloe vera
Aloe vera is highly recommended by Ayurveda practitioners, as it provides permanent relief from digestive disorders. It soothes down the burning throat, chest and heart being a coolant. It also helps in the smooth digestion of food in the stomach.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of aloe vera juice in one cup of water.
- Drink it immediately at the time of heartburn. You can also drink it daily for the healthy body.
4. Fennel seeds
Fennel seed is a natural herb that is useful in many of the digestive problems like gas, acidity, indigestion and heartburn. It stimulates the digestion process, and thus keeps the stomach in good shape.
Fennel seeds are known to give instant results, providing relief in just a few minutes.
- Chew a handful of fennel seeds after taking meals. Do it on regular basis for the good digestive system.
- You can also add fennel seeds to the daily tea to avoid heartburn and also to add some more taste and nice aroma.
5. Sugar or candy
Sugar or sweet candy stimulates saliva formation in the mouth. This saliva is alkaline in nature and thus neutralize the acid present in the throat. This, in turn, soothes the burning sensation in the throat and chest.
- Eat a spoon full of sugar immediately and let the saliva fill your mouth and throat.
- Or else, go for sweet candies.
6. Sleeping position
The sleeping patterns also contribute greatly to the stomach problems of a person. First of all, sleeping just after taking the meals is very bad for health. Wait for about 2 hours after eating, in the mean time do some walking or you can do your house chores.
Secondly, sleep position or the side you sleep also matters a lot. So always sleep on your left side as it is proven to increase the metabolism and quickens the digestion process. This prevents gastric problems, stomach pain and heartburn.
Cardamom is an aromatic herb that soothes down the discomfort caused due to the acid reflux. It helps in easy digestion of food and thus avoids heartburn.
- Eat 1-2 cardamom seeds after taking meals.
- Or else, add powdered seeds to the meals itself.
Yogurt has many benefits owing to its numerous properties like coolant, alkaline, anti-inflammatory and light to digest. It contains good bacteria called probiotics that are beneficial for the proper digestion of food. Its cooling nature soothes down the irritating throat and oesophagus due to heartburn.
- Take a bowl of yogurt daily in the lunch for proper digestion of food.
Ginger is natural aromatic herb best known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It calms down the inflamed stomach by soaking the excess of acid produced.
- Add some grated ginger to the tea. Drinking this tea would prevent heartburn.
- Add some ginger to the hot water and drink it warm.
- Also, add sliced ginger to the vegetables and dishes on the daily basis. It prevents the acid reflux.
- Don’t eat too spicy and fatty junk food.
- Say no to cigarettes and alcohol.
- Eat your dinner at least 2 hours before going to bed.
- Eat small bites and that too slowly, chewing perfectly.
- Don’t eat large meals at one time.