Oily skin is the major beauty hack that gives way to pimple and acne formation on face. Some people naturally possess oily skin and thus they need to adopt many remedies to keep their skin beautiful and fresh.
Oily skin is due to the excess sebum or oil produced by sebaceous gland under the skin. The skin pores open up and the oil comes to the face which makes the skin greasy and attracts dirt. Thus the face becomes dull and dark.
Although a small amount of sebum is always required to avoid the dryness and to maintain the healthy moisturized skin. The main factors behind the over oil production are hormonal changes with growing age, spicy and oily food, stress and genetics.
Chemical products are harmful as they enhance the dryness of skin which indirectly leads to more sebum production. So always adopt only natural products available in your kitchen.
Here are the best home remedies for oily skin:
Honey is the best natural moisturizer available and is highly recommended by Ayurveda for all types of skin woes. It absorbs the excess oil from the skin to avoid the formation of pimples. It keeps the skin soft and supple by rejuvenating it with all the required nutrients and maintain a balance between not so dry and not so oily skin.
- Apply organic honey evenly on the face as a mask for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash with a lukewarm water.
2. Lemon juice
Lemon has astringent properties that wipe out the extra oil and debris from the skin.
- Mix lemon juice with honey to make a paste.
- Apply it on the face and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Later wash with lukewarm water.
Lemon juice tends to leave the face dry, so honey is mixed so that the skin remains moisturized in proper balance.
3. Aloe vera
Aloe vera is also a natural astringent that removes excess oil and dirt from the oily skin. Additionally, its hydrating nature keeps the skin well moisturized even after the oil removal.
- Cut the fresh aloe vera leaf vertically and extract the gel.
- Apply a layer of this gel gently on the entire face and neck.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water massaging it in a circular motion.
Almonds are a very rich source of vitamins, minerals, proteins and many other nutrients. Almond powder is used since ages on the skin to nourish it with essential nutrients. It acts as a scrub that exfoliates the oily skin by removing dead cells and excessive sebum produced.
- Mix almond powder with rose water to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on the face and massage it for 5 minutes.
- Wash the face and apply moisturizer.
5. Multani Matti or Fuller’s earth
Multani matti is one of the best natural remedies to swear by for all the skin problems. It is a natural coolant that contains high mineral content and helps maintain soft skin. It absorbs greasy substances from the oily skin to make it look young and refreshing.
- Mix Multani matti with water or rosewater to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on the face or on whole body if you want.
- Wait for it to dry and then wash it off.
The presence of vitamin C makes it ideal to control the sebum, dirt and other toxins accumulated on the face or oily skin. It contains 80% water which hydrates the skin and keeps it moisturized. It helps maintain the balance by checking the oil produced so that the skin is not excessively oily and dry both.
- Blend chopped cucumber in a grinder.
- Now extract the juice by straining this pulp.
- Soak the cotton ball with cucumber juice and dab it on the face.
- Leave it on for few minutes and then wash the face.
Many properties of oatmeal make it an excellent home remedy for oily skin. Firstly, it is a great absorber that helps absorb the excess oil from face. Secondly, the grainy texture makes it an exfoliator or scrubber to remove acne, dirt and dead cells from the oily skin. Thirdly, it is a natural cleansing agent that removes oil and other dirt particles effectively and refreshes the skin.
- Soak a tablespoon of oats in a water for 5 minutes.
- Then massage it on the face with fingertips.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and then wash the face.
8. Curd and besan
Besan or gram flour is a great absorber that soaks the excess oil from facial skin and also dirt accumulated in the skin pores. Thus help to unclog the closed pores. These clogged pores are the chief reason behind acne and pimples on oily skin.
Curd revitalizes the skin by replenishing the lost vitamin, proteins and other nutrients from the skin.
- Mix together besan and curd to make a fine paste.
- Apply this evenly on the face.
- Allow it to dry and then wash it off with plain water.
9. Egg white
The natural astringent nature of egg white shrink the oil producing sebaceous glands under the skin. Being astringent it dries out the face to remove oil and dirt from the skin. It is also rich in proteins and vitamins that nourish and refreshes the oily skin.
- Extract egg white from the egg and apply it evenly on the face with cotton.
- Let it dry and then wash the face.
- Apply light moisturizer thereafter, as egg white tends to leave the skin dry.
Tomato is also a natural astringent that soothes down the inflammation. It limits the oil production on face thus avoiding the oily skin. The acidic nature of tomato makes it a good exfoliator that helps remove dirt, acne and dead cells from the skin.
- Mash the tomato in a bowl.
- Now apply this puree on your face and wait for 10 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water and pat it dry.
- Wash the face at least 2-3 times a day with mild facewash only. But don’t overdo as that washes away the natural oils and trigger the glands to produce more oil.
- Stay away from junk and spicy food.
- Drink lots of water.
- Eat fresh and raw veggies and fruits.
- Dab your face with a soft tissue at regular intervals to wipe out excess oil.
- Apply sunscreen before going out and avoid moisturizer.
- Say no to alcohol, smoking and caffeinated drinks.
- Go for natural products that are chemical free as much as possible.
- Do not touch your face with hands frequently.
- Avoid use of heavy cosmetics at regular basis. Even if you are using them occasionally then always wash it off thoroughly before going to bed.