A toothache or tooth pain can occur at any age, to the child, to a young person and for sure to the person above 50. The main reasons behind this problem are cavity, infection, loose filling and gum disease.
Tooth pain can be mild or they can be extremely painful. The excruciating pain even reaches the whole face and sometimes causes headaches too.
An unbearable pain forces you to go to the dentist immediately, but you can also try some home remedies for temporary relief.
Here we give you top home remedies for a tooth ache or tooth pain:
1. Warm water and salt
For instant relief from dying pain, this is the most effective treatment. The warmth of the water and antiseptic properties of salt helps soothe out the tooth pain.
⦁ Take a glass of warm water.
⦁ Add one teaspoon salt and mix well.
⦁ Rinse your mouth thoroughly with salted water.
⦁ Repeat the process for 10-15 minutes.
It will surely relieve the pain. Repeat the process three to four times a day for good results.
Oil is one of the most efficient and effective methods to treat aching tooth, gum and for the overall healthy mouth. This is the ancient ayurvedic remedy practiced since a long time.
When used on regular basis makes teeth and gums stronger and provides them immunity against any type of infection. You can use good quality coconut oil, almond oil, and sesame oil.
⦁ Take one Tablespoon of clean and unused oil in your mouth.
⦁ Slowly swish it around your mouth for 15-20 minutes.
⦁ Spit out the oil and wash your mouth or brush them.
⦁ Tooth pain will go away within few days.
3. Ammonium Chloride, Alum and Sendha Namak
Yet another ayurvedic medicine suggested since ancient times. This certainly relieves the tooth pain due to its antibacterial and antiseptic properties and acts as a natural painkiller.
⦁ Take Ammonium Chloride, Alum and Rock Salt in same quantities.
⦁ Grind the three of them into powder and mix well.
⦁ Apply the mixture on your gums and teeth for 10-15 minutes.
⦁ Repeat the process twice a day.
Regular use of this mixture strengthens the gums and teeth.
Cloves have regularly been boast of as the best remedy as it has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Also, it causes numbing effect or acts as an anesthesia to help you deal with the scorching tooth pain.
⦁ Take 1 clove and put it in your mouth.
⦁ Allow it to moisten with your saliva till it softens.
⦁ Hold the softened clove against your hurting tooth for nearly 15-20 minutes.
When softened clove releases oil which helps in healing. You can also apply clove oil on your tooth with cotton.
5. Ice Cubes
The cold pack provides the soothing effect and alleviates the tooth pain naturally.
⦁ Take some ice cubes and place them in a small cloth bag.
⦁ Apply it to the hurting tooth for about 15 minutes.
Also, it can be placed on cheek area where there is hurting tooth.
6. Guava leaves
Guava leaves also have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. They help greatly to relieve a toothache.
- Chew 2-3 guava leaves until the juice starts coming out.
- Boil few guava leaves in a water. Strain the water and use it as a mouthwash.
Camphor is a good remedy for fast relief from a toothache or tooth pain. It also has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties which prevent tooth infection and soothes the aching tooth and gum.
- Mix a pinch of camphor powder and two tablespoons of mustard oil to make a paste. Dab a cotton ball in this mixture and keep it under aching tooth.
- Or you can also directly apply the paste on the tooth.
Camphor mixes with the saliva and provides relief. Do not swallow the camphor mixed saliva and keep spitting it out.
It is used in daily recipes to enhance the taste of food, apart from that it has healing properties too. It also has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties which prevent the growth of infection in the mouth.
- Take one tablespoon of asafoetida powder and mix lemon juice to make a thick paste. Apply it on the aching tooth.
- Also, mix one tablespoon asafoetida powder in one glass of warm water and gargle with it to get relief from tooth pain.
9. Aloe vera
It is believed since a long time that pure aloe vera gel helps in the tooth infection and various other mouth problems like inflamed gum and cavities.
Aloe vera is the best home remedy to heal and soothe aching gums and teeth. It inhibits the growth of bacteria in the mouth and also keeps them clean.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and rub the gel part of leaf on the aching tooth.
- Make a mouthwash by mixing one tablespoon of aloe vera gel in one cup of water. Rinse the mouth with this for relief from a tooth pain.
Cinnamon is known to relieve a toothache due to its antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
- Mix cinnamon powder and honey to make a fine paste. Apply this paste on the aching tooth and leave for few minutes. Repeat this until the tooth pain subsides.
Onion is used in daily diet imparting delicious taste to the vegetable recipes. It has many health benefits regulating the overall functioning of the body.
The antibacterial property of onion kills the tooth pain and infection causing bacteria present in the mouth. It is an effective remedy and should be used regularly until the pain subsides.
- Place a small piece of onion the affected teeth for few minutes.
- Take a piece of onion and chew it for minimum 3 minutes.