Do you feel deep pain when you bite chilled icecream? Or do you feel a deep tinge of sensation in any tooth when you bite any sweet thing like raisins or sugary drinks? If yes, then you are suffering from tooth sensitivity.
Sensitivity occurs when your teeth enamel is worn off exposing the inner dentin layer and nerve roots. These get exposed due to many reasons like:
- Using hard brush
- Brushing vigorously for a longer duration
- Grinding teeth becomes a habit for some and it results in wearing off
- Gum diseases
- Not brushing properly leads to bacterial growth in the teeth and harms gums
If it’s unbearable then you should visit the doctor to know the root cause. But if it’s just the beginning and the pain is not too much then you can try the home remedies for sensitive teeth. They are really effective with no side effects at all contrary to the allopathic that doctors would prescribe.
Home remedies for sensitive teeth are:
1. Oil pulling
Oil pulling or swishing the oil into your mouth for a minute or two is the best treatment for any teeth related woes. Coconut oil is widely used for this purpose as it has anti-microbial properties. It improves overall mouth aura.
- Take some coconut oil into the mouth.
- Keep it there for 1-2 minutes and swish around gently.
- Then spit it out and gargle with plain water.
2. Clove Oil
Clove is an antibacterial and pain reliever. Its strong nature helps relieve the aching tooth, caused due to sensitivity. It also checks the overall dental health. So keep this oil in handy and apply it into your mouth on a daily basis if you suffer from sensitivity very often.
- Soak a cotton ball into the oil so that it absorbs 2-3 drops of oil.
- Then dab the cotton ball softly, all over the gums, press it lightly over the pain-affected area.
- Or else you can also use the whole clove, in case the oil is not available. Place a piece of clove in between the sensitive teeth and leave for a few minutes.
Saltwater is used multi purposely for all the mouth related woes. It provides relief temporarily acting as an analgesic.
- Mix a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water.
- Swoosh it into your mouth for some time and see the results.
Onion has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which makes it suitable for pain related issues. These properties help kill the bacterias in the mouth, preventing any chances of oral infection. This in turn soothes down the pain due to sensitivity.
- Cut a small piece of onion and chew it between the sensitive teeth.
Garlic contains a component named allicin that reduces the pain. It provides temporary relief from acute sensitivity.
- Make a paste of garlic with few drops of water and apply it to the affected area.
- Also, you can directly chew it in between sensitive teeth.
6. Kaala namak, naushadar, phitkari
Kala namak (pink salt), naushadar (saline) and phitkari (alum) together make for a very efficient remedy for any teeth related woes. Regular use of this mixture would help prevent any kind of oral infection and would always keep your teeth and gum healthy.
- Mix the powder form of these three elements in equal quantities.
- Take a pinch of the powdered mixture at a time and rub it on your teeth and gum as you do while brushing.
- Repeat it two times a day.
7. Guava Leaves
Guava leaves are antibacterial in nature and help to maintain good oral health. Keep them in handy if you suffer from sensitive teeth too often.
- Chew on the raw guava leaf for instant relief from sensitivity.
- Also, you can boil the leaves in a cup of water and use this water as a mouthwash.
8. Peppermint oil
Peppermint is a hybrid mint, made up with the crossbreed of watermint and spearmint. The mint reduces the bacterial overgrowth and checks the overall aura of your mouth by removing the bad breath, whitens the teeth and also provide temporary relief from toothache.
- Swoosh with the peppermint oil for a minute just like an oil pulling.
Honey is known to be a very good antibacterial agent. It acts as an antiseptic for the tooth pain due to sensitivity and helps to maintain overall oral health by preventing any kind of infection.
- Apply honey directly on the affected tooth and gums. Do this 2-3 times a day till you get the relief from pain.
- Use a soft brush for your teeth.
- Avoid eating acidic food items like sodas, sour candies, kiwi, etc.
- Avoid frozen food items like ice cream, cold water, etc.
- Use mouthwashes once a day only as they contain alcohol and chemicals that increase the sensitivity.
These home remedies for sensitive teeth are sure to provide you instant relief from the unbearable pain and in case it persists then go to the doctor for further treatment.