Piles or hemorrhoid is a very common problem developed majorly at the age of 40 or above. Those suffering from constipation for a longer period of time and those straining on the toilet are likely to develop swelling veins. These swollen veins form a cluster and obstruct the path of stool disposal.
The piles patient suffers from heavy blood loss and becomes very weak. It is of two types ie internal piles and external piles. Internal piles are not that much painful and are dry in nature. On the other hand, external piles start bleeding during bowel movement and are extremely painful.
The main causes of this disease are straining and forcing bowel movements, sometimes holding back the pressure when there is an urge to go, pregnancy, obesity, family history and constipation.
Main symptoms of piles are bleeding during bowel movements, swelling around the anus, itching and pain near the anal region and constant urge for a bowel movement.
Here we give you a list of home remedies for piles or hemorrhoids:
Lemon is an astringent and cleans the intestines thus allowing smooth and easy bowel movement. It also provides relief from pain and inflammation during chronic piles.
- Squeeze one lemon in a glass of water. Add honey drink it empty stomach in the morning daily.
- Or else, apply lemon juice with a cotton ball on hemorrhoid affected area.
Coriander is a coolant and thus effectively reduce the inflammation and pain around anal region affected by piles. It also stops the blood coming out with stool due to its soothing action on the swollen up cluster of veins.
- Soak a tablespoon of coriander seeds in a glass of water overnight. Strain the water in morning and drink it empty stomach daily.
- Or else, take fresh coriander leaves and extract the juice with some water and a small piece of ginger in a grinder. Drink it daily empty stomach for best results.
Jamun is a very healthy seasonal fruit that contributes positively to the digestive process of the body. It is also called ‘black plum’ and is said to be very effective in traditional books. It may permanently cure hemorrhoids or piles if taken regularly.
- Eat a handful of Jamun daily with black salt.
Figs have laxative properties that soften the stool by soaking the water. This eases the bowel movement which results in a low pressure on the anus. Thus pain and irritation in the piles reduce and they remain intact at their place.
- Soak 2-3 dry figs in water overnight. Eat them in the morning empty stomach daily.
5. Ghee and almond oil
Ghee and almond oil both get deeply absorbed in the tissues around the anus, reducing itching and irritability by moistening the area. These are efficiently used to control inflammation in external piles.
- Dip a cotton ball in a ghee or almond oil and apply it on the affected area for many times a day.
Turmeric is antiseptic and anti-inflammatory in nature. It heals the wounded area around the anal region and soothes the pain due to piles immediately.
- Make a paste of turmeric by mixing turmeric and mustard oil. Apply this paste on the affected areas precisely.
- You can also add a small amount of onion juice to the paste.
7. Bitter gourd or karela
Bitter gourd is rich in fiber providing relief from constipation which ultimately relieves piles.
- Take a half cup of bitter gourd with buttermilk every morning.
Buttermilk is also a very beneficial remedy for piles suggested by many traditionalists and also accounted of in the traditional books. It soothes down the inflammation in the anus and stimulates the digestion. Thus helping out in easy flushing out of the stool.
- Drink one glass of buttermilk in morning or afternoon. Also, add some roasted cumin powder and black salt in it to boost up the digestion.
Radish is an effective remedy to cure piles. It stimulates the digestion and softens the stool. Thus providing relief from pain and inflammation.
- Grate a radish and wring the juice out of it. Drink 1 cup of this juice once a day.
- Or else, take 1 tablespoon of radish juice and mix it with 1 teaspoon of honey. Take it twice a day.
10. Fiber rich diet
Fiber is the main component that softens the stool and eases the bowel movement. Now the main source of fiber is whole grains. So if you are suffering from piles then the first thing to do is start eating whole grains.
It cleans out the intestines and flushing out becomes natural without any strain. Thus preventing the pain and hemorrhoids. Some whole grains are wheat, brown rice, barley, maize.
- Do not eat spicy and refined food.
- Do not eat junk and fast foods.
- Do not include refined flour like maida in your daily food diet.
- Do not strain or force to get the bowel movements.
- Sit in a squat position(Indian pan toilet is better), but if using western commode then place some stool under your feet to raise the knees. It makes bowel movement easy.
- Drink lots of fluids.